Monday, April 10, 2017

MARIAH's THOUGHTS on 13 Reasons Why Season 1 Episode 6 - "Tape 3, Side B"

About the Show:
After a teenage girl's perplexing suicide, a classmate receives a series of tapes that unravel the mystery of her tragic choice.
source
Network:
Netflix

Genre:
Young Adult
Crime Drama/Mystery
Rating:
TV-MA

Created by:
Brian Yorkey

Series based on:
Thirteen Reasons Why

Based on the Novel Written by:
Jay Asher

Social Media:
   

Cast:
Dylan Minnette – Clay Jensen
Katherine Langford – Hannah Baker
Christian Navarro - Tony
Brandon Flynn – Justin
Jutsin Prentice - Bryce
Kate Walsh – Mrs. Baker

See Full List of Cast & Crew on IMDB


~~~

Episode 6: "Tape 3, Side B"
Hannah's date on Valentine's Day doesn't go as planned. Alex gets in a big fight at school and has to face the honor board.

~~~~~

My Thoughts

Note: This review contains NO spoilers


“Deep down, I think I’ll always hate Valentine’s Day… especially the way it is celebrated.”


13 Reasons Why brings out all the high school bullshit that the underdog or victim goes through and throws it in your face. The “slut,” the “attention seeker,” victim blaming; no one likes being lonely and thrown into hunting season with a giant target on their back. While I don’t fully empathize with Hannah, what she is going through is real. Sexual assault and peer pressure aren’t topics of conversation that are easy to bring up and I’m glad 13 Reasons Why pulls it out of the dark.


In this episode, Hannah’s hope to find decent people or a decent guy is being butchered by one rumor, or several going around. What irks me is that everyone is playing bystander, “it wasn’t my fault” or “she’s a liar.” We could all do something, if an event goes against our beliefs or morals, but some of us just don’t. I’m guilty of doing nothing and I feel like 13 Reasons Why can teach people to do otherwise.


13 Reasons Why is eliciting a response from me and it may be hard for some people to watch, but it brings out important topics. The suspense is killer and I want to know what the recordings will say next.


No comments:

Post a Comment